Before I arrived at the Hopkins Nanjing Center, I didn’t really know what my life would look like in Nanjing outside of the graduate level classes taught in Chinese . I knew that I would live on campus with a Chinese roommate presumably eat a mix of food from the onsite cafeteria and outside restaurants, and likely spend a bit of time exploring the city and beyond. There were things that I never expected to join in with, and chief among them was dancing to catchy Latin songs at the Nanjing University track alongside retirees, students and young kids. A typical scene mid-dance Allow me to explain. Via a WeChat group (because how else would anything be coordinated in China, ever) a handful of Zumba enthusiasts alerted an audience of 200 or so Nanjing-based WeChat users to when and where a gathering of Zumba dancing would take place: usually Wednesday and Sunday afternoons at the Nanjing University track (which is a convenient 5 minute walk from the Hopkins Nanjing Center). Once the...
Comments
Post a Comment